Pistachios are everyone’s favorite little nut. One ounce has about 160 calories, 3 grams of fiber and more nutrition than you can imagine! If you’ve been around a while, you may remember when you could only get pistachios with bright red, dyed shells. You could tell who liked pistachios by the red stains on their fingers and lips! Pistachios were dyed because folks thought they looked more appetizing when they were red. Those dyes have since been done away with and now we enjoy pistachios “au naturel,” but they’re more than just a tasty snack…you can cook with them, too!
- Top yogurt with pistachios.
- Mix chopped pistachios into pancake batter.
- Add 1 ounce chopped pistachios to oatmeal or cookie dough.
- Use ground pistachios as a crust for fish or chicken.
- Sprinkle pistachios on a grilled chicken salad.
- Toss a few into pasta dishes.
- Substitute pistachios for pine nuts or walnuts in pesto.